Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Influences For My FIlm

When planning my film I had many influences for the content and form my film will take.
The directorial influence for my film comes primarily from Guy Ritchie. These being Narration, numerous plot lines which assist with one another, humour in violent scenes, high speed photography in fighting scenes. His collective traits, are recycled by other directors by as a collective I am very inspired by his work. Another Guy Ritchie technique and style I have used as inspiration when writing and planning my film is his view on modern day London. On the extras for his movie, 'Rock N' Rolla,' there is a short documentary on this where he talks about development and also the new image of 'gangsters.' This is why I wanted my character of Vince to be more modern and not just a normal suited Gangster, instead mine will have a more modern edge to him.

However I am going to take influence from Tarrantino as well in his use of music which often contrasts the scene. For this I am going to use the track 'Big Pimpin' by Jay Z in the opening sequence as it is a powerful 'gangster' song and also gives the movie a more wider audience appeal and not only being a British film.

During the opening sequence to show the more friendly side to Vince I have made him narrate the story, this will make him seem more 3D. I have made this decision based on the film, Alfie starring Michael Caine and the newer version starring Jude Law.

The Films I have taken influence from for ideas for the narrative are:

* Snatch - for the contexts of gambling and underground fighting
* Rock, N' Rolla - storylines and characterisation
* Be Cool - Humour and American Gangster stories
* Damage - Filming of fight sequences and stories behind them.
* Alfie - For the narration towards camera and metaphorical

No comments: